The MTV Video Vanguard Award is cancelled. They ignored Missy Elliott…Again
Missy Elliott is an American rapper, songwriter, producer, and actress. Her notable works include, “Work It”, “Lose Control”, “Get Your Freak On”, and “Sock It 2 Me”.
It was no doubt that Ms. Supa Dupa Fly was ahead of her time. She pushed boundaries.
Furthermore, I feel that Missy, not winning the Vanguard Award is a slap in the face. Don’t get me wrong, I love P!nk and she is an outstanding artist. This is not by any means an attack on her legacy, because her legacy is untouchable. But rather an observation. In regards to her receiving The MICHAEL JACKSON Vanguard MTV Award? Nah, there is no way on earth Pink deserved it more than Missy Elliott. This award is given to celebrities who have successfully illustrated superb creativity, congratulating music visuals, concepts and overall impact in the entertainment industry. While she is a great artist, I would be lying to our readers if I felt like Pink deserved the award before Missy Elliott.
First of all, Missy Elliott has her own style. As a result, she had her outlandish dressing in the late 90s and early 2000s, and well even now. Also, the rapper wasn’t afraid of dressing how she wanted, regardless of gender norms.
Most of all, she is herself. AND she was still able to be successful.
In addition, here are some other important reasons.
- She had crazy music video concepts; Her wildly imaginative video concepts are still being drawn on for inspiration today.
- She directs her videos.
- She was ahead of her time.
- Her music is still being sampled.
- She has won 15 Music Video Awards.
- She has won 6 Grammys.
- She’s helped make stars: Before Alyson Stoner was a Disney Star, she was one of the dancers in Missy Elliott’s music video, “Work It.”
- She has been in the game for 20 years.
- She IS Melissa Arnett Elliott, A.K.A Missy Elliott.
Past winners of the Vanguard Awards include; Rihanna, Beyoncé, Justin Timberlake, Kanye West and Britney Spears.
Seems like MTV made the wrong choice. What do you think? Let us know!